around here, things are a special kind of crazy!

Monday, July 25, 2011

"Mommy, Bed Wet"

Yeah, Pug and I heard that 6 separate times in the past two days. It started yesterday at nap time, and I think it was a ruse so he could stay up. Thankfully I had my handy-dandy layering trick up my sleeve, so we took off the fitted sheet and waterproof mattress cover and voi-la, another fitted sheet over a mattress cover lay underneath. Then he wet that. And then our bed. And did the same thing again today. Le sigh. All of Pon's sheets and mattress covers are dirty, and his room is the one the laundry is in, so tonight he's sleeping with Pug in our room. Pug's pretty sure we're sending Pon mixed signals with the whole "Stay in bed!" and "Go use the potty!" parts of the sleepy times equation. So, Pon does stay in bed until he wets it, at which point he rises to inform us that "bed wet" or "bed messh" (that's how he says it). I have no idea how his body contains so much liquid...

And, as it's Sunday, it was coupon clipping and sorting time. I, silly me, made the mistake of trying to start while Pon was still awake, so I got to sport a new hair accessory:

Safety before fashion
Yeah, fun times here in Zelans-land.
Anyway, the day wasn't entirely frustrating! We enjoyed a family breakfast before heading out to hang out (separately) with Heydew and RC. Heydew and I took Pon out to an outdoor shopping center where we treated ourselves to iced coffees, and Pon to some Chuck E Cheese. Heydew and RC had an early afternoon appointment, so we headed home with the intention on napping Pon and then hitting the pool. Nap aversion boy and a thunderstorm curtailed those plans, but we still had fun, for the most part. After the storm passed, I sent Pon and Pug out in swim trunks and rain boots for some puddle jumping fun so I could clean up some of our dinner mess.

Spinach lasagna cups, balsamic chicken, and cheesy garlic bread

Pug handled making the chicken for us, marinading it briefly in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, black pepper, and italian seasoning before sauteing it all.

The bread is a sliced up italian loaf slathered with a margarine, garlic powder, italian seasoning, parmesan and black pepper mix before being topped with italian blend cheese and baked at 350 for 5ish minutes. Basically long enough for the cheese to melt. It could have gone a bit longer, but we were hungry!

The piece de resistance, the lasagna cups didn't take too long to put together either! Maybe half an hour, from gathering ingredients to plating. Also, I used frozen spinach for this, so make sure that yours is thawed before you start, or use fresh, which is way tastier!

Spinach Lasagna Cups adapted from Can You Stay for Dinner who adapted from Hungry Girl

24 wanton wrappers
15 oz ricotta cheese
1 block frozen spinach, thawed
1-2 eggs (I used two, but you can be healthier than me and use 1)
1/4 C parmesan cheese
1 Tbls italian seasoning
1/2 Tbls garlic powder
1/2 Tbls onion powder
1 tsp black pepper
1/4-1/2 C spaghetti sauce
1/4-1/2 C italian cheese blend

First of all, I didn't actually measure any of this, I just sprinkled  it all in and mixed it up. I warned you earlier that I don't measure. Anyway, in a medium bowl mix the ricotta, spinach, egg(s) and spices. Set aside for a minute.

Generously grease or spray a regular sized 12 cup muffin tin. Gently press one wanton wrapper into each cup, trying to keep it centered, running your finger into the edge to help the wanton conform to the cup's shape.


Using half of the ricotta mixture, evenly distribute into each cup. I used 1 scoop each from my cookie scoop, which worked perfectly.


Add a spoonful of spaghetti sauce and a pinch of cheese to each cup.

Layer on the next wanton at an angle to the first so the corners are halfway between each other. Press gently to shape to cup, being careful not to squish out the filling. Repeat the layers of ricotta mix, sauce, and cheese, sprinkle on a little italian seasoning for prettiness' sake.


Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes until cheese has melted and started to brown slightly. Carefully run a butter knife around the edge of the cup, and again, carefully, lift out of the muffin tin onto a plate.


Serve alone or with sides. Feel free to fill these the way you usually make your lasagna. In theory they're kid friendly, but Pon wanted "Buzz Soup". However, they are portion controlled, so there's that!

Pug and I loved them, each eating three. At my first bite I told him I'd be making the recipe again. I think he's more excited to see what I come up with for the second half of the pack of wrappers though. The only package Food Lion had was twice as big as I needed. Hmmm... foodgawker and AllRecipes here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?