around here, things are a special kind of crazy!

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Insert Clever Title Here

Pug was unexpectedly off work today. Well, he was supposed to be off tomorrow but swapped days so we had an unexpectedly awesome family day. Pug and I got up early (for us on a nothin'-goin'-on-day) and I made up breakfast wraps: scrambled eggs, turkey bacon, and american cheese on a lightly grilled tortilla. Pon just had eggs and bacon. Pug got a call from his sister and tried to take a picture of Pon for her:

He refused to cooperate
He then ran around and took care of a few boring errands while Pon and I took some S'mores Cookies to Ladibugg for her birthday and wandered Target for a while. We had grilled cheese and canned soup for lunch. Afterwards Pon napped while Pug and I watched a few episodes of Soul Eater. As a family we enjoyed a brief evening swim before dinner. I made a turkey meatloaf and some corn.

It was tasty!
I make meatloaf the way my mom did. Ground meat (she used beef but we use turkey- I'm sure chicken or pork is good too) mixed with italian bread crumbs, italian seasoning, parmesan, an egg, ketchup, garlic powder and black pepper. Foil line a casserole dish and flatten out the meat mixture into it. Sprinkle italian blend cheese over the meat then roll up the meat into a cheese filled log of awesome. Bake at 350 covered in foil for 30-40 minutes. Uncover, top with ketchup, more cheese, and another sprinkle of italian seasoning. Put it back in the oven for about 10 or so minutes, until the cheese is melted and starting to brown.

The corn is super simple. Pour bag of frozen kernels into a pot and just cover with chicken broth. Add 2 Tbls margarine (or butter), a few splashes of your favorite hot sauce, and garlic powder and black pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Did I tell you that I put pepper and garlic into just about everything? Well I do. And I only ever measure if I'm baking. So there's your warning!

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?