around here, things are a special kind of crazy!

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Blackberry Oatcakes/Cookies

I'm not gonna lie. This was a huge pain in the butt, which is why I only made 8 cakes before giving up and turning them into cookies. I got the recipe over here at Inn at the Crossroads, a blog based on the foods featured in the Song of Ice and Fire Book Series- the HBO tv series Game of Thrones is based on the first book. It's an excellent blog featuring many medieval and ancient recipes, and plenty of modern ones. Rose hosted viewing parties at her house, and I used the Inn as my go to whenever I needed a recipe. The honeyed chicken and tyroshi honey fingers are both utterly fantastic. It doesn't hurt that they both feature honey :) So, with such a tried and true source of uniquely tasty foods, I decided to give the oatcakes a shot.

Blackberry Oatmeal Cookies
Oatcakes
I will reiterate the the oatcakes were a ridiculous pain the the derrière, but they are delicious. I still don't think I'll ever make them again, but they were a worthwhile experience. The cookies are sadly disappointing, but that's my fault as I failed to increase the sweetener when I added extra flour and oats. They are definitely blackberry though!

Oatcakes

1/2 C AP Flour
1 1/2 C old fashioned oats
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg (the original recipe calls for "mixed spice" which I assume is allspice, but I don't like cloves)
1/2 stick butter
1 egg, scrambled
2 Tbls honey
2 Tbls molasses
Blackberries

Sort and rinse blackberries. Set aside.
Gather your ingredients.
Measure and mix dry ingredients.
Rub the butter into the dry mix. I would say until it resembles bread crumbs, but with the oats, it's a little hard to tell. Just keep going until you don't have any big clumps of butter left. Add the wet ingredients and thoroughly mix in.
You may need to use your hands. Be aware it's really, really sticky.
 Pinch off a piece of the dough. Try to form it into a disk and wrap it around a blackberry. It's really, really frustrating because the dough wants to stick to everything but the blackberry.
I told you it was sticky.
I only rolled 8 before I got super frustrated and decided to make cookies.
I took the last of the pint of blackberries and mashed it into the remaining dough. Because of the extra moisture, I added another 1/2 C flour and a handful of oatmeal. Again, I should have added more sweetener.
I used my cookie scoop to just plop some these puppies right next to the oatcakes.




Bake at 350 for 15 minutes and enjoy!

Just a quick note, the cookies are fabulous with a little drizzle of honey on them. I'm just a bit of a sucker for honey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?