around here, things are a special kind of crazy!

Friday, August 12, 2011

Cupcake Dilemma

My birthday is on Saturday and Heydew and I are going to be baking cupcakes tomorrow evening. The only problem is that I can't decide which I want to make. Dare I attempt the angel food cupcakes with strawberry whipped cream frosting? Or do I fall back on the vanilla buttermilk cupcakes with caramel icing? What about the untried honey sourcream cupcakes with honey whipped cream? Of course I can't forget the quintessential summer birthday option lemonade cupcakes with super lemony frosting. And what if I make the lemonade cupcakes but frost them with the strawberry whipped cream instead to make my own strawberry lemonade cupcakes? No matter which I decide on I'll still need to go shopping for basics like cupcake liners (which I rarely use) and powdered sugar (which all but one of the frosting options need), not to mention the "special" stuff like heavy whipping cream and dehydrated strawberries. What's a girl to do? Other than, you know, turn to foodgawker and discover the 80 pages worth of other cupcake options available on that site alone...

In other news, Pon and I made play dough today. It was easy and Pon enjoyed helping me measure out and mix the three ingredients. Then we used my animal cookie cutters to create our own zoo. Pon then named all of the animals and made their sounds (sorta, since neither Pug nor I know what the hippo or rhino says, we couldn't correct him!).

Play dough

2 C oatmeal
1 C flour
1 C water (you may not need all of it)

Combine the oatmeal and flour in a medium bowl. Slowly mix in the water until the dough reaches the desired consistency and is no longer sticky. Store in an air tight container in a cool dry place when not in use. Feel free to shape and leave out to air dry over night or bake for a more permanent figurine.

I can't offer you good advice on the baking, though I tried the temperature was too high and the bottoms started to burn while they were still soft. Depending on how adventurous I'm feeling tomorrow, we may try to make our own watercolors and paint them.

It does have a different texture than traditional play dough, but that is easily turned in to a textures lesson.

For dinner I made this excellent pretzel crusted chicken. Go check out the link if you're interested!

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?